Office Manager Position – Halifax North Office




Type of Employment: Term with potential for permanency
Location: Halifax North-Family Office, 100-7001 Mumford Road, Halifax
Salary: EC 07 ($54,113.28 to $74,406.28)
Closing Date:  April 30, 2024 at 4:30 pm

Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers quality legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are systematically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family, and social justice law.

NSLAC employs staff in 24 offices and 3 sub-offices throughout the Province. Our staff are comprised of Staff Lawyers, Legal Assistants, Paralegals, Court Support Workers, Social Workers, a Social Justice Support Worker, and a Prison Law Support Worker. Our staff help thousands of clients every year. We are committed to helping overcome historical and ongoing barriers to access to justice and our Staff Lawyers have litigated many important cases to protect the rights of individuals.

Primary Functions:
Reporting to and working closely with the Managing Lawyer, the Office Manager will organize and coordinate office administration and procedures to ensure organizational effectiveness, efficiency, and safety. This role is responsible for developing intra-office communication protocols, streamlining administrative procedures, inventory control, office staff supervision, and task delegation.  Additionally, the Office Manager may identify potential areas for process improvements and recommend potential solutions. This role will require the ability to work independently and experience in managing a wide range of administrative duties. The Office Manager must be reliable, flexible, people-oriented, friendly, patient, fast learning, quick thinking, a creative problem solver, illustrate initiative and responsibility.

Duties and Responsibilities:

  • Supporting the Managing Lawyer on a wide range of administrative services
  • Responsible for managing office services by ensuring office operations and procedures are organized, correspondences are controlled, filing systems are designed, supply requisitions are reviewed and approved, and that administrative functions are properly assigned and monitored
  • Allocate tasks and assignments and monitor performance
  • Provide day-to-day supervision of staff including attendance management, casual time sheet approvals, scheduling of vacations, modified work weeks and other time off
  • Ensure top performance of office staff by providing them adequate coaching and guidance
  • Manage internal staff relations
  • Organize and schedule meetings and appointments
  • Organize office operations and procedures
  • Manage relationships with vendors, service providers, and landlord, ensuring that all items are invoiced and paid on time
  • Responsible for developing standards and promoting activities that enhance operational procedures
  • Organize orientation and training of new staff members
  • Ensure filing systems are maintained and current
  • Ensure security, integrity, and confidentiality of data
  • Oversee adherence to office policies and procedures
  • Monitor and maintain and approve office supplies inventory
  • Maintain a safe, secure, and pleasant work environment
  • Draft and complete internal and external correspondence, legal documents, form letters and other documents such as memorandums and other correspondence for the Managing Lawyer or the staff lawyers as required
  • Assists with communication with all office staff as required

Ideal Abilities and Skills:

  • Ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
  • Ability to communicate effectively with the public, judges, senior government officials, lawyers and agencies within government in a tactful, professional and courteous manner.
  • Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
  • Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
  • Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively.
  • Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Office and Outlook.


  • Post-secondary diploma in Legal Administration or Paralegal or equivalent training and related relevant experience.
  • Minimum 2 years of experience with family law cases, criminal court practices, social justice matters, procedures and systems would be an asset.

We value a workplace where diversity, in all its forms, is encouraged and recognized for its contribution to a more creative, rewarding workplace that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application, cover letter or resume.

If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.

Please indicate Position Title and Location and whether you are an internal or external applicant in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to

While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.  All applications will be held in strict confidence.

Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission Awards

The Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission is seeking nominations for the 2024 Innovation in Service Delivery, Community Leadership, and R. Gordon Murray, QC Awards. Criteria and information regarding the Awards can be found below.

Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission Awards Criteria (March 2024)

Please be sure to nominate that individual or organization that you feel is deserving of recognition. Please note the deadline for nominations is April 30, 2024 @ 12:00 pm and nominations should be sent to:

Enhanced Financial Eligibility Program

Nova Scotia Legal Aid is excited to announce our Enhanced Financial Eligibility Program, currently being piloted exclusively for the Cape Breton Regional Municipality and Victoria County area. Further details regarding the pilot can be found below.



Heating Assistance Rebate Program & Seniors Care Grant

The Heating Assistance Rebate Program helps low-and moderate-income Nova Scotians with the cost of home heating. Rebates are $600 for each household and details can be found here:  Heating Assistance Rebate Program

There is also a  $750 Seniors Care Grant available for assistance with household services like lawn care, snow removal, etc. and details can be found here:  Seniors Care Grant

You can apply to these programs until March 31, 2024.

More Seniors Now Eligible for Rent Supplements

Changes to the Province’s rent supplement program will expand eligibility for low-income seniors and put more money in the pockets of seniors who receive the supplement.

« We know many people are struggling to find an affordable place to live and a rent supplement can help with the cost of rent – especially for low-income seniors, » said John Lohr, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. « I made a commitment to Nova Scotians to do whatever I can to ensure as many people as possible have access to safe and affordable housing, faster. We are looking at our programs and practices and making changes that will make a difference to Nova Scotians in need. »

Effective today, October 10, Nova Scotia, with the support of the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), is changing the criteria used to determine seniors’ eligibility for the supplement and the formula for the amount they can receive.

The criteria and formula had both used 95 per cent of the average market rent in the senior’s area rather than the full amount. Now, 100 per cent of the average market rent is used, which means more seniors will qualify and the supplement increases.

With the eligibility change, more than 100 low-income seniors could qualify for a supplement. Seniors who have previously applied to the program but did not qualify must reapply.

Details regarding this program can be found at:  Rent Supplement Program

2022-2023 Annual Report

The Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission’s 2022-23 Annual Report is now available and can be found on the About Us, Legal Aid Publications page, or at this link:   2022-2023 Annual Report

National Duty Counsel Day – October 27, 2023 – Teacher Registration

Below please find information regarding the above-noted which you may wish to share within your community. Further information regarding Duty Counsel Day can be found at: National Duty Counsel Day.


Hey teachers!
If you like justice, we have a day for you. October 27 is Duty Counsel Day. Deliver informative, curriculum-based lessons based on the role of legal aid duty counsel in the Canadian justice system. Our free lesson library is full of ideas you can download and use for your classroom or virtual classroom. Register now for your free teaching kit.

Duty Counsel Day in the Classroom (

National Indigenous Peoples Day – June 21, 2023

Today is National Indigenous Peoples Day. It is an opportunity for us to recognize and celebrate First Nations, Inuit, and Metis Peoples of Canada. June 21st was chosen as National Indigenous Peoples Day to take place on the summer solstice. It is an opportunity for us to show respect and to learn about the rich cultural history of the many Indigenous peoples and communities across Turtle Island.

We hope you will have some time over the coming days to take part in events around the province and to explore the many resources available. To that end, we are sharing some resources and event information:

We hope everyone has the opportunity to take in the North American Indigenous Games in July. They will be exciting to watch, and we are looking forward to the Canoe Kayak events on Lake Banook.

Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day!

NSLA Online Chats Temporarily Cancelled

The Family Online Chat scheduled for May 30, 2023 and the Social Justice Online Chat scheduled for May 31, 2023 have been cancelled due to the forest fires and affected staff. We are hopeful that online chats will be back on schedule next week. We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience.

NS Legal Aid Commission 2023-2028 Strategic Plan

The Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission is pleased to share its 2023-2028 Strategic Plan: NSLAC 2023-2028 Strategic Plan

The Commission is committed to continuing to enhance access to justice with a focus on economically vulnerable and historically disadvantaged Nova Scotians. The 2023-2028 Strategic Plan identifies Service Delivery, Innovation and Technology, and People and Culture goals for improved and more accessible services enabling Nova Scotians access to justice, while at the same time focuses on the wellness and diversity of the staff providing those services.

The Strategic Plan, as well as other publications, can also be found in Legal Aid Publications under the About Us tab of our website.