AFRICAN NOVA SCOTIAN SOCIAL WORKER
NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION
The Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission is the largest Law firm in Nova Scotia with 23 full-service offices located throughout the Province, which deliver legal services and some level of help to Nova Scotians, with a focus on supporting those who are vulnerable and historically disadvantaged, including: Indigenous Peoples, African Nova Scotians, Immigrants and economically disadvantaged persons.
Position: The African Nova Scotian Social Worker (ASW) is a new one-year contract position (with the possibility of permanency) being developed to deliver social work services to our African Nova Scotian and Black clients, particularly those appearing before the criminal courts, and in child protection matters in the family courts.
Reporting to the Service Delivery Director, the ASW will work with, and be under the direction of our Staff Lawyers, who are representing African Nova Scotian and Black clients. The ASW will also work closely with our Indigenous Social Worker. A Job Description is attached.
Start Date: April 1st, 2019
Location: Executive Office
920-1701 Hollis Street
Travel is also required across Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Legal Aid has close to 100 lawyers located in 23 Regional Offices throughout Nova Scotia delivering legal services to our clients. We are the largest Criminal Defence, Family Law and Social Justice Law firm in the Province, and have been serving Nova Scotians since the 1970’s. In addition to having community based offices, we also provide outreach services within communities.
The ASW will increase the cultural awareness, competency, and responsiveness of our lawyers and staff, as they provide services to African Nova Scotian and Black clients. The successful candidate will also connect with African Nova Scotian communities and service providers around the province, both to promote the services NSLA can provide and to ensure familiarity with services available to our clients.
- Have a degree in Social Work;
- Be a member in good standing with the NSASW;
- Experience working with African Nova Scotian communities;
- Current awareness of Nova Scotia legislation in child welfare law (CFSA) and criminal law (CCC, YCJA, CDSA);
- Knowledge of the legal issues confronted by Nova Scotia Legal Aid staff in providing legal aid to clients;
- Have excellent communication skills;
- Have the ability to work independently, and as a part of a team;
- Ability to meet the public and to interact with justice officials, lawyers, and agencies in a tactful and professional manner;
- Proficiency with computers and preparing reports;
- Excellent file administration and case-management skills;
- Hold a valid Nova Scotia driver’s license, and have access to a motor vehicle;
- Ability to travel;
- Some travel within Nova Scotia will be required. A valid driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle is required.
Salary range: PR 14-1 to 14-6. This is a one-year contract position, with the possibility of permanency.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive.
Candidates can submit their resume in confidence to:
Human Resources (HR) Specialist
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission
920-1701 Hollis Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3M8
Closing Date: Monday, March 4th, 2019 at 4:30 pm
The primary area of responsibility for the successful candidate filling this position will be the delivery of all of the social work services required to assist African Nova Scotian, and Black clients. Therefore, this is a designated position that is restricted to persons belonging to the African Nova Scotian Community.
This is a term opportunity with a scheduled end date of March 31, 2020. There is the possibility of permanency. While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.