The offices of Nova Scotia Legal Aid are now being staffed during regular business hours and limited in-person client service has resumed. We ask that you continue to apply online or by telephone if possible. If someone is unable to access service in these ways, they are welcome to attend the nearest office to apply.
Most appointments will continue to be held by telephone or video. In-person appointments will occur only when the lawyer and client agree it is necessary. For this reason, please do not stop into any of our offices with a question regarding your matter but call instead. When you go to a Legal Aid Office please go alone if possible to minimize the number of people attending, and let us know in advance if you will be bringing someone with you.
If you are attending an office in person for help or for a scheduled appointment here is what you can expect:
- Signage asking you to self-screen for symptoms or other risk factors of COVID-19. If you are sick or have any symptoms, please do not come in, but leave and call the office for help.
- Signage indicating the maximum number of people who can be in a waiting room at one time. This will vary depending on the office so please check the sign and do not enter if others are in the waiting room. Call the front desk to let them know you are there.
- Markers on the floor indicating where you can safely stand while speaking to staff at the front desk.
- Hand washing or sanitizing will be mandatory for everyone entering our spaces. Supplies will be provided.
- Masks will be mandatory for everyone without a medical condition preventing them from wearing of a mask when entering our offices. In some cases, the lawyer and client will be able to remove their masks once in the meeting room if it is large enough to allow social distancing. If you do not have a mask when you arrive, one will be provided.
- All meeting areas are sanitized between clients and all high-touch surfaces are cleaned throughout the day.
Please be patient as we navigate this new process. If you have any questions, please call the office prior to attending.
PDF Version: COVID-19 & Physical Opening of NSLA Offices