LEGAL ASSISTANT POSITION
NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID – SYDNEY OFFICE
The Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission is the largest Law firm in Nova Scotia with 23 full-service offices located throughout the Province, which deliver legal services and some level of help to Nova Scotians, with a focus on supporting those who are vulnerable and historically disadvantaged, including: Indigenous Peoples, African Nova Scotians, Immigrants and economically disadvantaged persons.
Position: Legal Assistant position for the Sydney Office. This is a 1 year contract position with the potential of permanency. Reporting to the Managing Lawyer (ML) or those persons designated by the ML, and under the direction of one, or more, Staff Lawyers.
The Legal Assistant will provide comprehensive administrative support to lawyers in the day-to-day conduct of their clients’ legal affairs. An understanding of and commitment to excellence in client service is imperative.
Salary Range: NSLAC Clerical Pay Scale (CL); Per Legal Aid salary scale.
Responsibilities (includes but not limited to):
- Effectively manage the front desk, incoming calls, application intake process and distribution.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Manage, organize, and coordinate Staff Lawyers’ practices.
- Type briefs, correspondence, legal documents, assuring timely preparation and accuracy.
- Ensure effective management of all legal administrative related duties.
- Assume responsibility for the imprest account, petty cash, trust fund accounts and reconciliation of same.
- Assist ML with Occupational Health and Safety responsibilities, including training pertaining to the same.
- Any other additional projects and tasks as required.
Candidates must have the following requirements:
- The minimum educational qualification in a recognized Business or Office Administration Certificate/diploma.
- Minimum of two years’ recent and related experience in a fast-paced legal environment.
- Excellent PC literacy – Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Proficiency in typing and Dictaphone Transcription.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy and capacity to work under pressure of deadlines and multiple competing priorities.
Desirable personal attributes, skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact at all levels of an organization.
- Superior client service skills.
- Team working skills to contribute positively to a team environment.
- Ability to problem solve with critical thinking skills.
- Depending upon the position assignment, must be familiar with and have a working knowledge of at least one or two of the following codes; the Criminal Code of Canada and related criminal procedure; Divorce Act, Parenting and Support Act and Matrimonial Property Act, and related documentation filing requirements and procedures; and Children and Family Services Act and related documentation and procedures.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive.
Candidates can submit their resume in confidence to:
Operations Administrative Assistant
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission
920-1701 Hollis Street,
Halifax, NS B3J 3M8
Closing Date: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 4:30 PM
We thank you in advance for your application, however only qualified candidates will be contacted
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We have an Employment Equity Policy and welcome applications from historically disadvantaged groups, including: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities, and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or resume.
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.