NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION
Available Position: 12-month contract with the potential for permanency
Location: 55 Church Street, Amherst
Salary: Clerical Pay Plan, CL 14 Step 1 to CL 22 Step 5 ($37,287.12 to $52,157.82)
Closing Date: September 23, 2021 at 4:30 pm
Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are vulnerable and historically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family, and social justice law.
Reporting to the Managing Lawyer under the direction of two Staff Lawyers, the Legal Assistant provides comprehensive administrative support in family law, criminal law and social justice matters to the lawyers in the day-to-day conduct of clients’ legal affairs. An understanding of and commitment to client service is imperative. The Legal Assistant must have a broad range of knowledge relating to the functions, activities, policies, and practices of the NSLAC.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
- Effectively manage the front desk, incoming calls, application intakes and distribution.
- Manage, organize, and coordinate Lawyers’ Practice.
- Transcribes and types briefs and correspondence, and assures timely preparation, accuracy and documentation of all Family Court and Family Division related documents including orders, affidavits, financial statements, petitions, etc.
- Ensures the management of all legal administrative related duties.
- Certificate administration.
- Ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Be able to work with clients who have complex needs and works independently in a fast-paced environment as well as part of a team.
- Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively.
- Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Office, and Outlook.
- All other duties as required
- Post-secondary diploma in Legal Administration or Paralegal or equivalent training and related relevant experience.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with family law cases, criminal court practices, social justice matters, procedures and systems would be an asset.
Our goal is to be a diverse and accessible workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We encourage qualified individuals from historically disadvantaged groups, including Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, retirees, and women in positions where they are underrepresented. Applicants from these groups wishing to self-identify may do so on their cover letter or resume.
If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.
Please indicate position title, office location and whether you are an internal or external applicant in the posting in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to NSLA-Careers@nslegalaid.ca.
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.